Based in Leeds, UK
18th October 2016
Switch 'N' Shoot is an arcade shoot-em-up with a twist: you only have one button which turns your ship and fires your guns at the same time. You must carefully time your shots to take out as many aliens as possible without colliding with any of them. It's fast-paced, challenging, and extremely crunchy (think Galaga had a baby with Flappy Bird and it was raised by Vlambeer).
The game began as a simple idea for a one-button mechanic in December 2014. Developer Matt Glanville created a simple prototype in Unity over a week or so, stuck it on itch.io and called it a day. After about 6 months a friend requested a build to use in a private installation and so the project was dusted off and polished up a bit. Matt noticed that players were responding well to it and decided to add some more features and turn it into a full (albeit small) game. Further into development, it became apparent that mobile platforms were a great fit for the game and so development focus shifted on to Android (specifically Google Play) while it built a following on Steam Greenlight. After receiveing the greenlight, focus moved back on to the PC version. The game is now receiving an initial release on Steam, with standalone versions following for Windows, Mac, Linux and Android. The Google Play version is still in beta.
- Controlled with just one button (or one tap on mobile platforms).
- Fast-paced & challenging: you'll fail fast, but you can jump back in even faster.
- Palette swapping: fully customise your colour scheme using an authentic 8-bit palette.
- Silly random name generator: each time you die you get a new randomly-named pilot.
- Chunky pixel art, with beautiful border illustration by Paul Duffield.
- Crunchy sounds and an adrenaline-pumping soundtrack by MoppySound.
- Online leaderboards, achievements and stats on Steam and Google Play.
Launch Trailer YouTube
Gameplay Trailer YouTube
Logo & Icon
- "Switch 'N' Shoot's simple premise is reason enough to give it a try, and chasing that elusive high score while climbing up the online leaderboards offers enough long-time motivation to keep you enthralled for a while."
- Thomas Faust, IndieGames.com
- "It’s very addictive stuff – the most fun you can possibly have with just one button."
- Calum Fraser, Alpha Beta Gamer
- "The responsiveness of the controls never leave you in doubt that a death is your fault alone."
- Paul Hack, Fireside by Game Jolt
Request Press Copy
We are afraid this developer has not upgraded their presskit() to use distribute(). For security purposes, this form has been disabled.
Request a review code
Trusted press can request a Steam key via dodistribute.com.
Follow the developer on twitter.com.
Like the game on facebook.com.
A history of updates and design changes: crowbarska.tumblr.com.
About Matt Glanville
Matt Glanville is a game designer based in Leeds, UK. He has previously worked on big games like Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty and Harry Potter. He also develops indie games in his spare time.
More information on Matt Glanville, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Switch 'N' Shoot Credits
Game design, scripting, pixel art, sound